Financial Support

The cost of attendance for graduate study depends on four things: (1) the location of study (main campus, online, or at a remote site/distance education), (2) your North Carolina residency status, (3) how many hours you enroll in, and (4) the degree program you are pursuing (some programs charge a tuition differential). You can find full details about tuition and fees on the Student Accounts website. Here are some details to help you understand the costs:

  • Location of Study: Students enrolled at a remote site or in an online program will be assessed fees at a lower rate than on-campus students because they do not have access to the some campus facilities and services that are covered by student fees.
  • Full and Part-Time Enrollment: Students pay according to the number of hours taken. Students enrolled in 9 or more hours are considered full time and pay the full-time rate. Students enrolled in 8 or fewer credits are considered part-time and are assessed tuition and fees based on the number of enrolled credits.
  • Summer Enrollment: Students pay tuition per credit hour, with reduced fees. Enrollment is limited to a maximum of 6 hours in either summer term, or a total of 12 hours for the full summer session.
  • NC Residency: The State of North Carolina subsidizes tuition costs for its residents. Out-of-state students are charged a significantly higher tuition rate, but App State does offer tuition scholarships for out-of-state students on a competitive basis (see below). Residency status is determined by the State's Residency Determination Service. More information can be found on the Registrar's NC Residency page.

Source of Financial Support

Graduate students have various ways to receive financial support to offset the cost of attendance. Regularly admitted, full-time, main campus, degree-seeking students are eligible for assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships. Because of the source of this funding, non-degree, certificate-seeking, off-campus, and part-time students are not eligible. If you were admitted provisionally, you are not eligible in your first semester of enrollment.

Federal Financial Aid

Degree-seeking and certificate-seeking students who are US citizens or permanent residents and are enrolled at least 1/2 time (5 hours) are eligible for Federal Student Loans (Stafford or PLUS) for most programs. The location of your program (on or off campus) doesn't matter. Non-degree students are not eligible for Federal aid. Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid for information.

Scholarships and Fellowships

A number of scholarships and fellowships are available for qualifying graduate students who enroll in degree programs. Some of these are awarded by the Graduate School based on a competitive review process, while other awards are made by individual programs and departments. See what scholarships and fellowships are available.


Each department has funds to hire graduate students as teaching, research, or general graduate assistants. Be sure to let the program director know if you are interested in a position. Assistantships are also available in other offices on campus. Learn more about graduate assistantships and see what positions are available.

Graduate School Awards

The School of Graduate Studies administers awards for research, creative activities, and professional development. Awards may range from $250-$500 or higher, depending on availability of funds. Check out the various awards you can apply for.

Graduate Student Government Association Awards

The Graduate Student Government Association (GSGA) offers competitive awards of up to $500 in Fall and Spring to support graduate student research and research-related travel. Learn more about GSGA funding and how to apply.

Student Employment Opportunities

Job openings on campus are available for students seeking further financial support. Hours of employment, pay rate, and schedule for the position are determined by the department or office offering the position. Check out Handshake to search for and apply to these student employment positions.

More Information

Refer to the Office of Student Financial Aid website for additional information.