Overview of DegreeWorks (DW)

What is DegreeWorks?
DW is a Web-based tool available in Appalnet for you and your advisor to monitor your academic progress toward completion of your graduate program -- degree, certificate, and/or minor.

What is a Degreeworks audit?
A DW audit is a review of past, current, and pre-registered coursework and non-course requirements (such as proficiency, candidacy, comprehensive exams) that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to complete a program. The requirements are based upon those listed in the Graduate Bulletin for the term you entered the program.

Who has the ability to access DegreeWorks?
Currently, DW is available to all degree or certificate-seeking graduate students admitted to graduate school starting in Fall 2009 or later. Advisors, faculty, and selected staff will also have access for the purpose of supporting your progress through your academic career.

Is my information confidential?
Yes. The information used in your audit comes from your Banner student data record, and is confidential as required by FERPA. Remember that your advisor, faculty, and selected staff will be able to view the information contained in DegreeWorks.

How current will my information be in DegreeWorks?
The Banner student data information is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in DW tomorrow.

Can I register for classes in DegreeWorks?
No. DegreeWorks is a snapshot of courses in-progress, pre-registered, and in academic history. Registration will continue to be handled through the Student Services channel of Appalnet.

Can I see how many classes I have left to fulfill my requirements?
Yes. DegreeWorks is laid out in block format displaying degree, major, minor, and concentration requirements. Look for unchecked boxes to identify requirements that you still need to complete.

Are my grades visible in DegreeWorks?
Yes. Once grades have been processed at the end of the faculty grading period, they become official and are viewable in DegreeWorks following the nightly refresh.


Navigating DegreeWorks (DW)

How do I access DW?
You can log into DW through AppalNet using any browser software. Your username and password are required. If you are unable to log in (and you started your program in Fall 2009 or later), please email The DW staff in the Registrar's Office can assist with login issues. Remember that students who started before Fall 2009 will not be in DW.

What if I am not in DegreeWorks?
Only students who entered graduate school in Fall 2009 or later and are enrolled in a degree or certificate program are in DW. Except for School Administration Add-on Licensure, audits for non-degree and licensure-only students are not displayed, because there is not a predefined curriculum scribed in DW for them.

What should I see when I look at my audit?
DW displays your program of study audit based upon the program and course information in the Banner student data system and the curriculum scribed in DW.

If you are degree-seeking, you should see a degree block and a major block -- and a concentration block if your major requires a concentration. If you are certificate-seeking, you should see a certificate block and a specific cert requirements block.

Green checks indicate complete requirements; blue tildas indicate in-progress requirements; empty red boxes indicate unmet requirements.

check iconblue tilda iconred square icon

I am in multiple programs (concentrations, majors, certificates), but I only see one listed.
Each program is listed on a separate audit screen. To change screens use the Degree pick-list near the top of the screen as illustrated below. If the second program is not there, the second program may not have been approved yet. Contact your advisor if you believe there is an error.

screen grab

I see several special categories of courses at the bottom of the audit. What are those?
Any or all of the following may appear at the bottom of the audit.

  • Fallthrough: Courses that are counting as additional electives over the minimum required for the program.
  • Attempted: Courses that do not meet grade requirements (U, F, SP, UP, IP, I).
  • In-progress: Any course currently being taken or preregistered for.
  • Not Counted: Courses that violate a program of study requirement, such as limits on dual-listed courses, independent studies, selected topics courses, C-level grades.
  • Exceptions: Customizations applied to the student's program based on submitted program of study paperwork.
  • Notes: Any comments made by the advisor, program director, or Graduate School such as undergraduate prerequisites or intentions to take transfer.

Can I get a term-by-term listing of courses taken using DW?
Use the Class History link at the top of the audit.

scrren grab

Interpreting DW and Requesting Changes

What if the major, concentration, certificate or minor is listed incorrectly?
DW is a front end for information in the Banner student data system, so DW displays only what is recorded as your official program(s). The information is updated each night, and so changes made today will be available for view tomorrow.

  • To change concentrations or add a minor, work with your advisor to submit the Customize Graduate Program (PDF, 122 KB) form.
  • To change majors or add/delete new majors or certificates, work with your advisor to submit the Change of Program (PDF, 123 KB) form.

The program of study approved box is not checked. How do we get a program of study approved?
Once the you and your advisor have agreed on the program of study, it needs to be submitted to the Graduate School for final approval and processing. Work with your advisor to submit the Customize Graduate Program (PDF, 122 KB) form. The graduate records staff will update Banner and DW after approval. This must be done before half way through your program or you will be unable to register for additional courses.

The program requirements don't look quite right. What could be wrong?
Double check the catalog year listed on the black header bar for the major. If that is the problem and you wish to change the catalog year, please work with your advisor to submit the Customize Graduate Program (PDF, 122 KB) form.

Courses approved to meet a program requirement are "falling through" to the bottom of the audit. How can I fix that?
Work with your advisor to seek approval and submit the Customize Graduate Program (PDF, 122 KB) form. The graduate records staff will update Banner and DW after approval.

How do I request a substitution for a required course in the program (major or concentration)?
Work with your advisor to seek approval and submit the Customize Graduate Program (PDF, 122 KB) form. The graduate records staff will update Banner and DW after approval.

I am taking transfer credit to satisfy some requirements. I don't see where transfer credit is displayed.
Transfer credit will be entered into Banner (and thus in DW) once an official transcript showing acceptable grades has been received in the Graduate School. Until then, any transfer planned will be referenced in a note at the bottom of the audit. Be sure to have official transcripts for your transfer work sent to Graduate School RECORDS; Box 32068; Boone, NC 28608.

What if I see an error in the audit?
Check first with your advisor! If your advisor confirms that there is an error, notify the Graduate Records staff ( with specific information including the your name, major, Banner ID, and where on the audit that the error was noticed.

Who can I contact with questions?

  • Questions about how to navigate DW: Check on the main Degreeworks Site for tutorials and other helpful materials.
  • Questions about my specific situation: Check with your advisor or program director. You can also email the Graduate Records staff ( or call the Graduate School (828-262-2130) with specific information including the your name, major, Banner ID as well as the question you have.