Applying to Graduate
Degree-seeking students must apply for graduation (regardless of whether they plan to attend the commencement ceremony). The form is available online, which requires a non-refundable/non-transferrable application fee of $20. A late fee of $5 will be assessed on all applications submitted after the initial deadlines. Applications submitted after the final deadline WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED and graduation will be deferred to a later term. Please note that the application for graduation will be closed for billing purposes on the first business day following the deadline dates noted below.
Degrees and Certificates
Initial Deadline* for Graduation
FINAL Deadline** for Graduation
|Spring 2023||Last weekday of February (February 28, 2023)||April 3, 2023|
|Summer 2023||Last weekday of June (June 30, 2023)||July 9, 2023|
|Fall 2023||Last weekday of September (September 29, 2023)||November 12, 2023|
*Last date for which the regular application fee ($20) will be charged. After the initial deadline, the application fee is $25.
**Last date for which graduation applications will be accepted for graduation for that term.
Thesis / Dissertation Deadlines
- Last day to defend a thesis or dissertation is approximately six weeks prior to commencement for that term. In summer the end of the "semester" is the last day of classes in the second summer session. Please note that your department may impose an earlier deadline. ALWAYS PLAN AHEAD, ESPECIALLY IN SUMMER! Allow enough time following the defense to make any requested changes prior to the DRAFT deadline (post defense) dates listed below.
- Submission of a defended final draft of the thesis or dissertation is due in the Graduate School by no later than the dates listed below. Your final draft will be reviewed by the Graduate School readers, and additional changes may be necessary before the completed copy is approved.
- Completed theses/dissertations must be turned in on or before the completed thesis deadline. Late submissions will NOT be accepted.
FINAL DRAFT Deadline (Post Defense)
COMPLETED Thesis* Deadline
April 3, 2023
May 4, 2023
July 9, 2023
August 8, 2023
November 13, 2023
December 8, 2023
*A "Completed Thesis" includes the final, edited copy ready for publication, with all required forms submitted.
Written / Oral Comprehensives and Products of Learning Presentation Deadlines
- The signed paperwork documenting successful completion must be received in the Graduate School at least 1 day before final exams begin in the semester of graduation. In summer, the end of the "semester" is the last day of the second summer session. The comprehensive exam form should be submitted by Reading Day.
Deadlines for Other Requirements
- Deadlines to register for all coursework, including but not limited to coursework, internships, thesis hours, independent and individual studies are consistent with the deadlines for drop and add established by the Office of the Registrar.
- All work (classwork, internship, proficiency, etc.) must be completed by the student no later than the official date of graduation for that semester. The official date of graduation will be set each semester by the Registrar, and in general falls within two days of the commencement ceremony. During summer, the official date of graduation is within two days of the last class day.