We are looking forward to learning more about you through the on-line application process. Please read through the FAQs below to prepare. Don't hesitate to contact us with questions at any point (firstname.lastname@example.org, 828-262-2130).
Important note: If you are already a currently enrolled degree-seeking graduate student at Appalachian, you do NOT need to complete the on-line admission application. Please complete the request to change program / add a certificate form (PDF, 126 KB).
- What information should be gathered before starting the process?
- What constitutes a complete application?
- How is my information used, and who can see it?
- If I decide not to complete my application, can I be deleted from the system?
- Who can help with questions?
The on-line application form is self-explanatory; please read each screen carefully. You will be prompted to enter information about yourself, the program you wish to enter, and your credentials. You can save information on each webpage, and then log out to return later to continue entering information.
You will need the following information to complete your application. It is helpful to gather some of this documentation in advance. Be sure to check the Supplemental Information Webpage to read about any additional documents needed by the program of your choice and to verify the deadline set by the program.
- The specific program by name, the location of the program (on or off campus), and for on-campus students an indication of whether you intend to enroll full or part time. Please note that all off-campus programs are part-time programs. Also note that some on-campus programs do not permit part-time enrollment. If you select a level of enrollment that is not possible, we will contact you.
- An email account (other than a Yahoo! account) that you can be sure you have access to during the entire application review process. Questions about your application will be sent to the email address that you provide.
- A mailing address, which can be different from your permanent address if needed. Official notification of acceptance will be sent to your permanent address.
- The names and dates of attendance for all colleges and universities you have ever attended (even if the credit transferred to another institution, and also including Appalachian if you attended here!), and the date(s) on which you were awarded any degrees. These dates are on your transcripts if you are not sure about them. You must submit official transcripts from every institution you have attended or are attending (except Appalachian) in order to avoid delays due to administrative review.
- You will be required to answer questions about any misconduct from the past or currently under review, including criminal offenses or academic disciplinary actions. You will be prompted to give short explanations. Please note that failure to disclose this information or to provide an adequate explanation can delay, or even cause rejection of, your application. In addition, we will contact you regarding the submission of a criminal background check to document the charges.
The following items are required for all certificate programs.
- The on-line application form, with all required information filled in and submitted.
- The application processing fee (which supports the technology and manpower needed for data entry). When you submit your application (by pressing the submit button on the last page), you will be given an application identifier. Please include this identifier on your check or money order if you chose the option 'pay by check' so we can be sure that your payment is properly recorded.
- Official transcripts mailed directly to the Graduate School from every institution you have attended or are currently attending. The mailing address is: Cratis D. Williams Graduate School, Box 32068, Boone, NC 28608. If you attended Appalachian, you do not need to supply the Appalachian transcripts. If you are using UPS or FedEx, our street address is Appalachian Graduate School; 287 Rivers Street, Room 232; Boone, NC 28608
- Official test score reports sent directly to the Graduate School (CODE 5010 for GRE, GMAT, TOEFL; 1350 for MAT) for the general examination, if required by the certificate program of interest. International students will need to supply TOEFL or IELTS scores for all programs. (List of test scores required for each program)
- A resume, which should be prepared as or scanned into a .doc, .docx or .pdf file (.pdf preferred) and uploaded during the on-line process. Please prepare a basic resume that documents your education, military and work experience carefully for at least the last five years. If you have a gap in your history of four months or more, the UNC system policy requires further documentation. Please provide an additional page in your resume with an explanation of the gaps.
- Any supplemental information required by the specific certificate program, such writing samples, letters of intent, essays, etc. (List of supplemental information required by each program)
Your information can only be used for determining admission. The only people who have access to your information are the admissions specialists in the graduate school, the admissions committee in the program you select, and the University Registrar (for transcript and residency purposes).
Persons who do not submit their applications by pressing submit at the end of the form may request that their profile be deleted by contacting the Graduate School in writing. Please include your full name, and the username you established. Submitted applications become part of the permanent record of applicants.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Graduate School if you need help! Mr. Dontrell Parson is the director of admissions and recruiting; Ms. Victoria Carlberg (email@example.com) is the graduate admissions specialist and can be contacted during regular business hours (8 to 5 Eastern Time Zone USA) on the phone as well: 828.262.2130. If she is unavailable, the receptionist can direct your call to another staff member.