The TRIO SSS (Student Support Services) and ACCESS Scholarship programs provide individualized, supportive, and engaging opportunities for interaction between the graduate mentor and first-year students from low income/first generation backgrounds.
- Serve as a mentor to 12-14 first year students and meet with each student once a week for 30 minutes (6-7 hours/week).
- Facilitate weekly group mentoring/Professional Development Opportunities for your students in collaboration with TRIO SSS/ACCESS staff (2 hours/week).
- Participate in bi-weekly trainings throughout the semester in the following areas (1.5 hours/biweekly).
- Meet at least once every two weeks with your students' advisor (1 hour/biweekly).
- Enrolled in a graduate degree program at Appalachian. Preference for graduate studies related to education, counseling, or student development
- Evidence of academic success
- Desire to get to know and help first year students
- Creativity, enthusiasm, and flexibility
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to keep organized records
- Good communication skills
Graduate Student Mentors earn ~$16.67/hr ($2500/semester) and the time commitment is approximately 10 hours/week.
4-7 positions available per academic year
How to apply:
Full ACCESS-TRIO SSS Graduate Student Mentor Job Description:
Review of materials and interviews will occur mid-April 2023.