Transfer Admissions & Engagement supports transfer students throughout their entire journey with App State. Over one-fourth of our undergraduate student population (approximately 4,700 students) transferred from another institution. In addition to recruiting, admissions, and credit evaluations, our office ensures that transfer students have a smooth transition and find a sense of belonging at App State through engagement and support.
A Graduate Assistant in Transfer Admissions & Engagement will aid in the transition, engagement, and retention of transfer students to Appalachian.
Duties will include:
- Assist with providing representation at transfer student events and programming, Mountain Laurel Hall programs, transfer club events, and campus partner events
- Scheduled hours but flexible based on needed event coverage but prefer availability of Tuesday evening (6:30-8:30pm) and Wednesday (5-6pm).
- Assist with retention efforts; reach out to students based on referrals from faculty/staff and concerns raised from the New Mountaineer Form.
- Assist the staff with Mentor administrative duties.
- Monitor, comment and post to Transfer Admissions & Engagement social media accounts.
- Help promote Transfer Admissions & Engagement on Engage
- Periodically represent Transfer Admissions & Engagement at a table in the Union to offer a remote point of contact for transfer students
- Assist with assessment and data mining for special projects.
- Provide staffing in the Transfer Student Center to assist transfer students (referrals, questions, swipe students in to center)
Qualifications: Regular admission to a graduate program at Appalachian with preference to the programs of Higher Education or College Student Development. A continuing student must be in good standing, eligible to hold an assistantship. Full-time enrollment (9 hours minimum) in a graduate degree program.
Compensation: $10,000 for one year (15 weeks each semester, 20 hours per week, resulting in an hourly rate of $16.67/hr).
Work Schedule: The position begins in Fall 2023. The GA must be flexible in their work hours in order to assist with student events.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Application Procedure: Applicants should email a cover letter, current resume, and the names and contact information for three references to Haley Sumner, firstname.lastname@example.org.