Research Computing Support Team Overview
The Research Computing Support Team provides individual and personalized support to App State research faculty and students. Research support includes custom software programming, High Performance Computing Cluster configuration and application installation, and end-user technical support for the High Performance Computing Cluster.
A Graduate Student is needed on the Research Computing Support Team in order to develop a web-based application for the Psychology department. You will work with IT staff and Psychology faculty in order to establish deadlines and deliverables, providing updates every two weeks, and writing code that will be maintainable over time. Upon completion of this project, the assistantship may be extended to other research support duties including configuration of a next-generation high performance computing cluster, and additional custom software development.
- Excitement about building a custom web application from scratch with modern tools
- Willingness to follow best practices - documentation, revision control, code reviews, automated testing
- Demonstrate problem solving and troubleshooting skill
- Good communication skills - will be regularly communicating with faculty and student researchers
- Writing technical/support documentation for both end users and internal team
Nice To Haves
- Experience compiling programs for Linux operating system - GNU automake/autoconf and other build systems
- General Linux familiarity - package managers such as apt and dnf, filesystem permissions, performance monitoring
- Experience with Python, R, C, BASH
- Experience with high performance computing job schedulers such as 'slurm'
Schedule: 15-20 hrs/week. Need candidate who can work over the summer. Daily schedule is flexible.
Start date: As soon as possible
End date: We have budgeted for 500 hours of work on the Psychology Department application and other research duties. If additional projects are identified, this assistantship may be extended.
Deadline: Applicants will be accepted until the position is filled.
Application procedure: Applicants should email a cover letter, current resume, and the names and contact information for three references to Jeff Tickle firstname.lastname@example.org.