The town of Boone is located in the northwest corner of North Carolina, nestled in the Blue Ridge mountains at 3,333 feet above sea level. The local population is just below 13,500. The region is nicknamed 'The High Country' for its mountainous terrain. The University is very much a part of Boone and the regional community. Appalachian' s students enjoy the excitement of a mid-sized university environment, as well as the small-town feel of Boone and its unique culture.
For the outdoor enthusiast, Boone boasts fantastic mountain views in all seasons with a wide variety of recreation opportunities. The region is also steeped in local Appalachian history and culture. Residents experience this culture through local music, theater and art exhibitions around the region. The High Country is truly one of North America's treasured regions. For Appalachian students, it is theirs to discover.
Follow the links below for information on activities and events in the area:
- Arts and Culture
- Outdoor Recreation
- Community Service
- Local Festivals and Events
- Graduate Student Organizations
- Useful Links
- Places to Eat
- Coffee Places
Arts and Culture
- General information
- The Turchin Center for the Visual Arts Featuring nationally-renowned artists, as well as student work.
- Downtown Boone Gallery Crawl A community event happening the first Friday of every month.
- Rosen Outdoor Sculpture Competition A national juried competition featuring large-scale contemporary sculpture.
- Appalachian Performing Arts Series A rich array of theater, music and dance performances throughout the academic year.
- Appalachian Summer Festival An annual, multi-disciplinary arts festival celebrating the summer in Boone.
- Theater and Dance Performances at the Valborg Theater Featuring the best of student performances throughout the academic year.
- Art in the Park (Blowing Rock) A series of juried arts and crafts shows in downtown Blowing Rock.
- Jones House Community Center A historic house dedicated to preserving the culture of Boone.
- General Information
- Hiking Information
- Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic drives, as well as hiking and camping.
- Linville Falls Hiking and camping along the waterfalls.
- Moses H. Cone Memorial Park Hiking, fishing and horseback riding.
- Julian Price Park Camping, hiking and canoeing.
- Hebron Rock Colony Hiking and swimming along the waterfalls.
- Grandfather Mountain Hiking, as well as walking along a mile-high suspension bridge.
- The Greenway Walking Trail Jogging, walking and cycling.
- Mt. Mitchell Hiking on the highest peak east of the Mississippi.
- The New River Canoeing, kayaking and fly-fishing.
- Skiing and Snowboarding
- On-campus Intramural Sports Volleyball, basketball and many more.
- Watauga Parks and Recreation
- ACT (Appalachian and the Community Together) A student organization joining volunteers to local causes.
- Hospitality House Helping homeless people in the Boone area get back on their feet.
- Hunger and Health Coalition Providing grocery items, medical prescriptions , and basic healthcare to those in need.
- Habitat for Humanity The local chapter of Habitat.
- High Country United Way The local chapter of United Way.
- Blue Ridge Conservancy Dedicated to preserving the natural beauty of the area.
Local Festivals and Events
- Watauga County Farmer's Market Fresh, local produce sold every Saturday during the summer months.
- Woolly Worm Festival (Banner Elk) A local tradition, not to be missed!
- MerleFest (North Wilkesboro) Celebrate local bluegrass and Americana music.
- New River Blues Festival Experience mountain music, local crafts and traditional food.
- Wine Country tours (Yadkin County) Sample varieties from the up-and-coming North Carolina vineyards.
Graduate Student Organizations
- Graduate Student Government Association (GSGA) Celebrating and improving graduate education at Appalachian.
- Ray's Boone Weather Local, accurate forecasts for many High Country locations.
- Mountain Times A community paper featuring local news and events.
- High Country Press Another community website featuring local news and events.
- Nightlife Scene Information on the nightlife for the town of Boone.
- Black Cat Burritos
- Boone Bagelry: (King Street downtown)
- Cha Da Thai
- Coyote Kitchen
- Taste Grill
- Los Arcoiris
- Mellow Mushroom
- Our Daily Bread (King Street downtown)
- Stick Boy Bread
- Boone Saloon
- The Local
- Cafe Portofino
- Coyoto Kitchen
- The Rock
- Wild Craft Eatery
- Casa Rustica
- Tapp Room
- The Beadbox
- Espresso News (Howard Street downtown)
- Higher Grounds Coffee (New Market Center)
- Stick Boy Bread
- Balk Guy Brew