The town of Boone is located in the northwest corner of North Carolina, nestled in the Blue Ridge mountains at 3,333 feet above sea level. The town's estimated full-time population is 20,000. The region is often referred to as "The High Country" for its mountainous terrain. The University is very much a part of Boone and the regional community. Appalachian' s students enjoy the excitement of a mid-sized university environment, as well as the small-town feel of Boone and its unique culture.
For the outdoor enthusiast Boone boasts a wide variety of recreational opportunities, including hiking, skiing, climbing, and kayaking. The region is also steeped in local Appalachian history and culture. Residents experience this culture through local music, theater, and art exhibitions around the region. The High Country is truly one of North America's treasures. For Appalachian students, it is theirs to discover.
Follow the links below for information on activities and events in the area:
- Arts and Culture
- Outdoor Recreation
- Community Service
- Local Festivals and Events
- Graduate Student Organizations
- Useful Links
- Places to Eat
- Coffee Places
Arts and Culture
- General information
- The Turchin Center for the Visual Arts Featuring nationally-renowned artists, as well as student work.
- Downtown Boone Gallery Crawl A community event happening the first Friday of every month.
- Rosen Outdoor Sculpture Competition A national juried competition featuring large-scale contemporary sculpture.
- Appalachian Performing Arts Series A rich array of theater, music and dance performances throughout the academic year.
- Appalachian Summer Festival An annual, multi-disciplinary arts festival celebrating the summer in Boone.
- Theater and Dance Performances at the Valborg Theater Featuring the best of student performances throughout the academic year.
- Art in the Park (Blowing Rock) A series of juried arts and crafts shows in downtown Blowing Rock.
- Jones House Community Center A historic house dedicated to preserving the culture of Boone.
- General Information
- Hiking Information
- Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic drives, as well as hiking and camping.
- Linville Falls Hiking and camping along the waterfalls.
- Moses H. Cone Memorial Park Hiking, fishing and horseback riding.
- Julian Price Park Camping, hiking and canoeing.
- Grandfather Mountain Hiking, as well as walking along a mile-high suspension bridge.
- The Greenway Walking Trail Jogging, walking and cycling.
- Mt. Mitchell Hiking on the highest peak east of the Mississippi.
- New River State Park Canoeing, kayaking and fly-fishing.
- Skiing and Snowboarding
- On-campus Intramural Sports Volleyball, basketball and many more.
- Watauga Parks and Recreation
- ACT (Appalachian and the Community Together) A student organization joining volunteers to local causes.
- Hospitality House Helping homeless people in the Boone area get back on their feet.
- Hunger and Health Coalition Providing grocery items, medical prescriptions , and basic healthcare to those in need.
- Habitat for Humanity The local chapter of Habitat.
- High Country United Way The local chapter of United Way.
- Blue Ridge Conservancy Dedicated to preserving the natural beauty of the area.
Local Festivals and Events
- Watauga County Farmer's Market Fresh, local produce sold every Saturday during the summer months.
- Woolly Worm Festival (Banner Elk) A local October tradition in Avery County.
- MerleFest (North Wilkesboro) Celebrate local bluegrass and Americana music.
- Music Fest 'N Sugar Grove Old-time music festival honoring Doc and Rosa Lee Watson.
- New River Blues Festival Experience mountain music, local crafts and traditional food.
- Valle Country Fair A local October tradition in Valle Crucis.
- Wine Country tours (Yadkin County) Sample varieties from the up-and-coming North Carolina vineyards.
Graduate Student Organizations
- Graduate Student Government Association (GSGA) Celebrating and improving graduate education at Appalachian.
- Ray's Boone Weather Local, accurate forecasts for many High Country locations.
- Mountain Times A community paper featuring local news and events.
- High Country Press Another community website featuring local news and events.
- Nightlife Scene Information on the nightlife for the town of Boone.
- Black Cat Burritos (Depot Street downtown)
- Boone Bagelry: (King Street downtown)
- Boone Saloon (King Street downtown)
- Booneshine Brewing Company
- Cafe Portofino
- Casa Rustica
- Cobo (Howard Street downtown)
- Coyote Kitchen
- F.A.R.M. Cafe (King Street downtown)
- Los Arcoiris
- Lost Province Brewing Company (Depot Street downtown)
- Melanie's Food Fantasy (King Street downtown)
- Mellow Mushroom (King Street downtown)
- Our Daily Bread (King Street downtown)
- Proper (Water Street downtown)
- Stick Boy Bread
- The Local (Howard Street downtown)
- The Rock
- TAPP Room
- Taste Grill
- Vidalia (King Street downtown)
- Wild Craft Eatery (King Street downtown)
- Espresso News (Howard Street downtown)
- Hatchet Coffee Roasters
- Higher Grounds Coffee (New Market Center)
- Stick Boy Bread
- Bald Guy Brew