A number of scholarships and fellowships are available to qualified graduate students who enroll in degree programs on campus in Boone. Some are awarded by the Graduate School to students who have been selected by the Graduate Council's Student Committee; other awards are made by individual programs and departments. Below is a partial list of available scholarships and fellowships.
Are you a summer/fall applicant? You will automatically be considered for the Chancellor's and Provost Fellowships if you check "yes" to the scholarship question on the application. Watch for this question on the very first page of the application! Be sure to apply for summer/fall admission by March 10 to be considered for a fellowship. Students will be notified if they are finalists for any of these fellowships.
Are you a spring applicant? The fellowships are awarded to summer and fall admits; if funds become available at the end of Fall semester, Spring admits will be considered.
Browse this page for more information or jump to a particular award:
- Chancellor's Fellowships and The Lovill Fellowship (New Students entering Summer or Fall)
- Provost's Fellowships (New or Continuing Students - any admission term)
- Scholarships Available Through Individual Programs
The Graduate School seeks applications from new graduate students each academic year. If you are applying for Summer or Fall admission you will automatically be considered if you check "yes" to the scholarship question on the admission application. Note: In the application for admission, you will be asked to upload a 500 word essay on the importance of graduate education to your career goals. There is no additional application to complete.
Chancellor's Fellows should meet the following criteria :
- Unconditional admission to a graduate degree program at Appalachian for Summer or Fall.
- Full-time status intended (minimum enrollment in 9 graduate credit hours).
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.7 for each college degree earned.
- 70th percentile or higher on each section of the required entrance exam (GRE, MAT, GMAT) using scores that are no more than 5 years old. Old test scores will not be considered.
Chancellor's Fellows who demonstrate excellence their first year by maintaining a 3.7 GPA will automatically receive a second year of funding.
We anticipate that up to eight Provost's Fellowships will be awarded to outstanding new or continuing graduate students. Applicants will complete a 500 word essay on the importance of graduate education to their career goals.
- New summer or fall students: Apply by checking "yes" to the scholarship consideration question on the admission application, and then uploading your essay as an attachment.
- Students entering in the Spring: Use the paper application form and attach the essay and a resumé.
- Applications should be mailed or scanned and emailed to Laura Padgett in care of the Graduate School at ASU Box 32068.
To be considered for the Provost's Fellowship, you should have:
- Unconditional admission to a graduate degree program at Appalachian.
- Full-time status (minimum enrollment in 9 graduate credit hours per semester).
- New students: A GPA in all college degrees of at least 3.5.
- Returning students: A 3.7 graduate GPA at Appalachian.
- Standardized test scores (GRE, MAT, GMAT) at or above the 60th percentile using scores that are no more than 5 years old. Old test scores will not be considered.
The Provost's Fellowship is not automatically renewable, but you may apply again next year to compete for a second award.
For information about the scholarships listed below, please contact the appropriate program or department
Edgar Greene Scholarship in Science Education
James C. Greene Fellowship
James Jackson Memorial Scholarship
Mary Kistler Scholarship
Richter Moore Fellowship
Louise Moore Plybon Library Science Scholarship
Uberto Price Scholarship in Reading Education
Reading (Reading Education and Special Education)
Eunice Query Scholarship for Library Science
Sallie Taylor Memorial Scholarship in Library Science
Stephen Vacendak Scholarship
Cratis Williams Fellowship
Jean J. Wey Scholarship Application
W.F. Mozelle Costner Parker Scholarship in Elementary Education
Janet Williams Bloodgood Scholarship For Reading and Children's Literature
Scholarship for Graduate Students in Special Education