Applying - Frequently Asked Questions


Application Process

Where can I find information about the types of programs and degrees offered?
The Graduate School Admissions website has a link to all graduate programs offered:

Will I need to complete an application for the Graduate School and one for the department?
No. You will only submit the Graduate School application, but many programs will have additional documents to be uploaded within the application (i.e., a departmental questionnaire or writing sample). All materials (official transcripts, etc.) must be submitted directly to the Graduate School.

What if I want to be considered for admission to more than one program?
You will need to create and submit a separate Graduate School application for each program using your application account. You will also pay the fee for each application but you may still submit just one official transcript for all colleges/universities attended. Please do not create new accounts for additional applications as this will result in significant processing delays for some materials on later applications.

Where do I send my required documentation - the program or the Graduate School?
Send all required materials directly to the Graduate School.

What is the Graduate School's mailing / shipping address?
All required materials should be mailed to:

Cratis D. Williams Graduate School
Appalachian State University
P.O. Box 32068
287 Rivers Street, Suite 232 JET
Boone, NC 28608

Is my application considered complete even if I have not taken the required test before the application deadline?
No. Your application is only considered complete when you have submitted your application, paid your application fee, and the Graduate School has received ALL required documentation (official transcripts, official test scores, recommendations). Your application must be filled out and submitted, application fee paid - AND all materials received to be complete.

What should I do if I make a mistake on my application (e.g., misspell my email address or my name)?
Please email with your corrections.

What if I attended an institution under another name?
Please enter all former names under which materials, especially transcripts, may be sent in the Former/Maiden Name field when you create your account or in the General Information tab of the application.

Why do I need to provide an emergency contact person on my application?
We frequently send time sensitive information during the application and admission process. Should we be unable to reach you through the contact information you have provided, it is important that we have an alternative contact in order to send you important information regarding your application/admission.

What is the difference between a deadline and early review date?
A deadline means you must have a submitted, paid application with all required documentation received by that date. An early review date means that the program begins reviewing and making recommendations beginning on that date. It is highly recommended that an application be COMPLETE by the early review date or a strong applicant may be denied admission if there are no more seats available.

How do I find out the status of my application?
You may log into your application account and click ‘Check Status.'

Can my spouse/parents/significant other inquire about my application?
No. We are not permitted to disclose application information to anyone but the applicant.

Can I submit my application after the final deadline? If I do, will it be considered?
No. Once the deadline has passed, your application will no longer be available to edit. You may email to request a term change.

How can I change my application login username and/or password?
You may log into your application account and on the sidebar there are options to change your address, email, username and password.

My name has legally changed since I last attended ASU. Will my name be changed with my application?
No. You must submit a change of name (Statement of Identity) form, which is found on the Registrar’s website, along with any required documentation to the Registrar’s office. Their website is:

Application Fees

How do I pay the application fee?
You may pay online by credit card (Visa or Mastercard) or mail a check or money order for $55 ($65 for Summer I 2018 and beyond) to the Graduate School once you have submitted the online application.

If I need the application fee waived, what should I do?
Application fees are not waived and are non-refundable.

I submitted a non-degree application and will be submitting a degree/certificate/licensure application. Can my application fee be waived and my transcripts used again?
If you submit your degree/certificate/licensure application in your FIRST non-degree term, you may request to have your degree application fee waived and your transcripts from your non-degree application applied to your degree/certificate/licensure application.

How do I know if my check will be applied to my application?
When you submit your application, please print out the confirmation page and mail the top portion along with your check or money order. If you do not have this page, please make sure the applicant’s name is somewhere on the check or money order.

I meant to pay by credit card, but I selected pay by check. Can I still pay by credit card?
Yes, simply log back into the application portal and you will see a message that the fee is still needed along with a link to click to 'pay now' which will open the credit card payment screen.

Can I pay by credit card over the phone?
Sorry, no. Credit card payments can only be made through the online application portal.

Do I have to pay multiple fees if I am applying to more than one program?
Yes, a separate fee is required for each application submitted.

I submitted an application and paid the fee but now I'm not going to finish the application. Can I get the fee refunded?
No, the application fee is non-refundable.

Security Screenings

What are the security screenings?
Answering YES to any of the criminal questions will require a background check. We also submit your name to the National Student Clearinghouse. If you did not list an educational institution and it appears on the Clearinghouse report, we will add that institution to your educational history and request an official transcript. This may delay the completion of your application. Please list all educational institutions attended on your application to avoid processing delays.

What types of crimes would require a disclosure?
“Crime” or “criminal charge” refers to any crime other than a traffic-related infraction such as a speeding or parking ticket. You MUST, however, include alcohol or drug offenses whether or not they are traffic-related.

If I check “yes” that I have been convicted of a crime, am I automatically disqualified? What happens if I choose “yes”?
If any of the criminal questions are ‘Yes’, then a background check will be required. We will send you information on how to do this once your application has been submitted and the application fee received. Having a criminal background does not automatically disqualify you from attending; each case is reviewed by a committee and judged individually. 

If I have been convicted of a crime, what information is needed in the explanation?
Please provide a statement describing the circumstances that led to the charge and all penalties/punishments that you completed. Include how this experience may have impacted you and what you have learned as a result.


Are faxed transcripts official transcripts?
Transcripts must be received directly from the Institution by paper or through an electronic transcript service (used by some universities). Faxed transcripts are NOT considered official. If you collect copies of transcripts yourself, they must be in the sealed institution envelope when we receive them. 

What transcripts are required?
All colleges/universities attended must be disclosed on your application. An official transcript must be submitted for all colleges/universities attended since you graduated from high school. This is true even if the courses transfered elsewhere. We will obtain your transcripts for your Appalachian coursework (if applicable), so you do not need to have those sent - but you must list Appalachian in the 'Education History' tab of the application. Also, high school transcripts are not required. 

Do I need to submit high school transcripts?

What if I attended a college while dually enrolled in high school?
All colleges/universities attended must be disclosed on your application, including those attended as dual high school enrollment; however, you may request a waiver of the transcript(s) for dual high school enrollment. If attendance was continued after high school graduation, an official transcript is required.

What if I attended ASU previously? Do I need to request an official transcript?
If you attended or are currently attending ASU, you do not have to pay to have ASU transcripts sent, but you still must list that you attended ASU in the 'Education History' tab on your application.

If I studied abroad, do I need to submit the transcript from the foreign school?
You may need to request official transcripts from your study abroad institution depending on how the coursework is shown on your home institution transcripts. If it is listed as transfer credit, the official transcript will be required; if it is listed clearly as study abroad credit and the coursework and grades are on your home institution transcript, then no official foreign transcript will be required.

How many copies of my transcripts need to be sent?
Only one official transcript from every college/university you have attended is required.

How many copies of my transcripts need to be sent if I’m applying for multiple programs?
One official transcript is required; however you must request that the transcript be applied to each of your applications. Please email with this request.

Can I submit transcripts, etc., before I submit my actual application?
Yes you may, but the transcripts will not be matched to your application until you have submitted the application and paid the fee. Please mail all official transcripts to the Graduate School. We will keep this documentation on file for one year.

Do I need to list ASU in the Education History tab of the application?


Do I need to wait for my recommenders to respond before submitting my application?
No. Please submit your application and application fee as soon as you can so that the manditory security screenings may begin and you can check to see if all other required documentation has been received.

May my recommenders send a paper recommendation?
Electronic recommendations are preferred; however, paper recommendations are possible and must be originals; copies will not be accepted. They must be received in a sealed envelope signed across the flap by your recommender. Most programs prefer that the recommendation form be used. Contact to request a copy of the paper recommendation form.

What can I do if my recommender is delaying my application’s processing?
Contact your recommender to see if they received the request. Remind them of your application deadline. You may resend a recommendation request by logging into your application account, click on ‘Check Status’ and there is an option next to the recommender name to resend the request. You may also send an email to to request it be resent.

How is my recommender notified to complete a recommendation?
Once you complete the recommender pages in your application and click the ‘Send’ button at the bottom of each page, an email will be sent to your requested recommender with detailed instructions.

If I wish to have the right to examine the recommendation letters upon admissions and enrollment into Appalachian, will my recommenders know that I have selected this option?
Yes. They will see that your have not waived your rights to view their recommendation. Some recommenders will not submit a recommendation unless you DO waive your rights.

Are there any types of unacceptable recommenders?
Family members may not be recommenders. Academic recommendations should be your first choice; for some program employer recommendations are also a good idea if the employment is related to the discipline (such as teaching, counseling or business). Character references or references from well-known people are not as desirable if they do not know you as an employee or student.

Test Scores

What is Appalachian's institution code for ordering test scores?
The institution code is 5010 for GMAT, GRE, and TOEFL score requests. The institution code when requesting MATs is 1350.

How do I find the department code for ordering my GRE scores?
All test scores are reported directly to the Graduate School regardless of the department code so the code used does not matter.

How current do required test scores need to be?
Test scores must be no more than 5 years old in the case of GMAT, GRE and MAT scores. TOEFL and IELTS scores for international applicants must be no more than 2 years old.

My test scores are older than 5 years. May I still use them?
If your test scores are older than 5 years, you must make a request to the program to accept the scores and the Graduate School must also approve the request. If approved, these scores must still be received in an official format (i.e., on a graduate school transcript or by having your previous graduate school’s Registrar’s office verify they received the scores, date taken, and scores (with percentiles) recorded. In very competitive programs, old scores will be a disadvantage. Applications with scores older than 5 years also are not considered for scholarships from the Graduate School.

Do all graduate programs at Appalachian State require test scores?

No; Click here to see a grid with detailed information on the waiver qualifications of the standardized exam requirements - both general and program specific.


What do I do if I need to change my term, recommender or program?
If you wish to change any of the above, please email with your request. Terms and programs must be specified.

What happens when my application is complete?
Applications will be referred to the appropriate departments only when your application has been submitted, the fee paid, all required documentation has been received and all security screenings have been completed. Departments vary in the amount of time they take to act on applications - depending on the size of the applicant pool a recommendation may take up to 3 weeks. Additionally, those programs with early deadlines or review dates may not review any complete applications until the deadline or review date has passed.

What are the different types of acceptance and what do they mean?

  • Unconditional admission is offered when you have met all minimum requirements.
  • Tentative admission is offered when you are still currently enrolled in your degree program. Official transcripts will be required showing your posted degree before you will have a student record and can register for classes.
  • Provisional admission is offered when you do NOT meet minimum requirements or if the program wishes the applicant to maintain or meet certain requirements during the first term of admission.

Once a decision has been made for my application, when can I expect to receive notification?
Recommendations received by the programs are processed on a daily basis. You should receive notification via email in 3-4 days. The decision letter will be available to view in the application portal. 

How am I notified when a decision has been made about my application?
An email will be sent to you notifying you that a decision has been made and you will need to log in to the application portal to see the decision. Also when you view your status, you will be notified of acceptance or non-acceptance and have the opportunity to view the decision letter in pdf format.

Can I find out my admission decision by email or phone?
Graduate School policy does not allow for disclosure of the admission decision by phone or email. Log into your application account and click on 'Check Status’ for decision information.

I have never received my decision letter; what should I do?
The Graduate School decision letter is posted online in pdf format in the application portal and are no longer sent via mail. Should you need a copy sent via mail, you may request a copy of the letter from

Can I have a copy of my decision letter sent to another address?
All correspondence from Appalachian is always mailed to your permanent address.

My application was referred to the department a long time ago. What should I do?
Please contact the program to see when their admissions committee will be meeting to make a recommendation concerning your application. Please be aware that those programs with early deadlines or review dates may not review any complete applications until the deadline or review date has passed.

If I misplaced my applicant response form, what should I do?
You may log into your application account, click on ‘Check Status’ and send an electronic response.

How do I apply for a graduate assistantship?
You are responsible for finding a graduate assistantship. If you indicated on your application that you were interested in one within your program, contact your program director. If you indicated interest outside your program, the Graduate School website has assistantship positions posted.

Where can I find information about graduate assistantships? Financial aid? Scholarships?
Assistantships and scholarships may be found on our site. Financial Aid’s website is