We are looking forward to learning more about you through the on-line application process. Please read through the FAQs below to prepare. Don't hesitate to contact us with questions at any point (firstname.lastname@example.org, 828-262-2130).
- What information should be gathered before starting the process?
- What constitutes a complete application?
- How is my information used, and who can see it?
- If I decide not to complete my application, can I be deleted from the system?
- Who can help with questions?
The on-line application form is self-explanatory; please read each screen carefully. You will be prompted to enter information about yourself, the program you wish to enter, and your credentials. You can save information on each webpage, and then log out to return later to continue entering information.
You will need the following information to complete your application.
- An email account (not a Yahoo! account) that you can be sure you have access to during the application review process. Questions about your application will be sent to the email address that you provide.
- A mailing address (which can be different from your permanent address if needed). Official notification of acceptance will be sent to your permanent address.
- The names and dates of attendance for all colleges and universities you have ever attended (even if the credit transferred to another institution, including Appalachian if you attended here!), and the date(s) on which you were awarded any degrees. These dates are on your transcripts if you are not sure about them. You must submit transcripts from every institution you have attended or are currently attending (except Appalachian) in order to avoid delays due to administrative review.
- You will be required to answer questions about any misconduct from the past or currently under review, including criminal offenses or academic disciplinary actions. You will be prompted to give short explanations. Please note that failure to disclose this information or to provide an adequate explanation can delay, or even cause rejection of, your application. In addition, we will contact you regarding the submission of a criminal background check to document the charges.
- Note that non-degree students will need to receive permission from the instructor and department chair for each course before enrollment will be granted. The form is available on line (PDF, 116 KB). You should contact the department chair and instructor before seeking admission, since there is no guarantee that you will be allowed to register for the course.
The following items are required for all non-degree applications.
- The on-line application form, with all required information filled in and submitted.
- The application processing fee (which supports the technology and manpower needed for data entry). When you submit your application (by pressing the submit button on the last page), you will be given an application identifier. Please include this identifier on your check or money order if you chose the option 'pay by check' so we can be sure that your payment is properly recorded. Payment of your application fee should be received 7 days prior to your program deadline.
- Official transcripts from every college or university you have attended or are currently attending, mailed directly to the Graduate School. The mailing address is: Cratis D. Williams Graduate School, Box 32068, Boone, NC 28608. If you attended Appalachian, you do not need to supply the Appalachian transcripts. If you are using UPS or FedEx, our street address is Appalachian Graduate School; 287 Rivers Street, Room 232; Boone, NC 28608.
- SPECIAL NOTE for graduate students from other UNC schools: If you are currently enrolled in another UNC school and you wish to attend Appalachian as a visitor, you do not need to supply transcripts. Please request that a letter from the Registrar at your school be sent to us verifying your enrollment status at your home institution.
- A resume, which should be prepared as or scanned into a .doc or .pdf file (.pdf preferred) and uploaded during the online process. Please prepare a basic resume that documents your education, military and work experience. If you have gap in your history of more than four months or more, the UNC system policy requires further documentation. Please provide an additional page in your resume with an explanation of the gaps.
Your information can only be used for determining admission. The only people who have access to your information are the admissions specialists in the graduate school and the University Registrar (for transcript and residency purposes).
Persons who do not submit their applications by pressing submit at the end of the form may request that their profile be deleted by contacting the Graduate School in writing. Please include your full name, and the username you established. Submitted applications become part of the permanent record of applicants.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Graduate School if you need help! Mr. Dontrell Parson is the director of admissions and recruiting; Ms. Victoria Carlberg (email@example.com) is the graduate admissions specialist and can be contacted during regular business hours (8 to 5 Eastern Time Zone USA) on the phone as well: 828.262.2130. If she is unavailable, the receptionist can direct your call to another staff member.