The Office of Nationally Competitive Scholarships seeks a graduate assistant to support our work in advising students and recent graduates interested in applying for national fellowships and scholarships such as Fulbright, Gilman, CLS, and others. The ideal candidate will demonstrate an interest in developing their writing and communications skills and may be interested in careers centered around student support, higher education, rhetoric and composition, communications, marketing, advertising and advising or teaching. Candidates should have an ability to present information clearly and be at ease interacting with students, faculty, and university administrators in a professional setting.
- Carefully understand in the mission, history, candidate profile, and other details of each scholarships/fellowship in the portfolio
- Develop and maintain current information on fellowships, including requirements, deadlines, past history of applicants, and the on-campus application process
- Design and produce outreach materials for specific scholarships and research opportunities
- Maintain and update the website, social media accounts, and NCS email account
- Organize and assist with special events
- Speak to classes and groups about specific fellowships and office services
- Survey students who visit the Office for reactions and suggestions
- Assist in coordinating on-campus interview committees for a range of awards
- Identify and inform eligible students of opportunities
- Maintain a database of prospective and current applicants and track applicants throughout each application cycle
- Participate in NCS Advisory Board Meetings
- Identify and publicize activities and achievements of our office, students, alumni, and faculty
- Contribute to the annual report by collecting data related to advising activities and analyzing data to identify office trends, successes, and areas in need of improvement.
- Work on special projects for the office or other units.
- Other duties and projects may be added as agreed upon between the student supervisor
We encourage our GAs to take advantage of the opportunity to work with NCS. You may find a fellowship to apply for!
- Full time enrolled student for the 23/24 academic year with good academic standing.
- Excellent writing skills. Ability to research, draft, and revise in a timely and organized manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively with various audiences. Good 'stage presences'.
- Organized with the ability to meet deadlines, prioritize, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Familiarity with social media posting and platforms
- Proficiency with Canva
- Knowledge of video creation and editing
To apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter outlining why you are interested in the position to Johnna Reisner, Assistant Director, at email@example.com.
Hours and Compensation: up to 20 hours a week, beginning at the start of the Fall Semester 2023. Compensation $15 per hour.