Completing a Degree or Certificate
All students must submit an application to graduate from a degree or certificate program --- you had to apply to get in, and you have to apply to get out!
You can apply to graduate from a DEGREE program or complete a CERTIFICATE program online. Here is how:
- Log into AppalNet.
- Go to the Student tab under Self-Service tab.
- Follow the Student Records link near the top of the list.
- Follow the Apply to Graduate link near the bottom of the list.
Please READ the directions carefully!!!! A few tips:
- Choose the MOST RECENT term of enrollment in the list because that will be the most current information about your major program.
- If you are graduating from two different degree programs (see Examples), you have to go through the process twice - once for each degree program. You will receive two diplomas - one for each degree - and will be charged two application fees. [Examples: SSP/MA in School Psychology; MS in Accounting and MBA.] The same is true of certificates.
- If you are graduating from two major programs that for the same degree type, you will only need to go through the process for your primary program. [Example: Appalachian Studies and English are both MA degree programs.] Please send an email to the Graduate Records staff (email@example.com) in the Graduate School after applying simply to let them know that you are completing two majors.
- If you are also completing a certificate, you will need to follow this process a second time to receive the certificate in addition to the degree.
- Read everything carefully - especially where you can specify your middle name or initial for your diploma and where you can specify the mailing address for your diploma.
- Don't forget to submit when you get to the end. If you do submit and you realize later that you typed something wrong, contact the Graduate School.
- Note: Students completing BOTH a degree and certificate must complete both applications prior to graduation.
- For a pictorial guide to the application - see the Registrar's Website!
More information about graduation and commencement for degree seeking students.
Questions? Contact the Graduate Records Staff (firstname.lastname@example.org).