Completing a Degree or Certificate
All students must submit an application to graduate from a degree or certificate program --- you had to apply to get in, and you have to apply to get out!
You can apply to graduate from a DEGREE program or complete a CERTIFICATE program online. Here is how:
- Log into AppalNet.
- Go to the Student tab under Self-Service.
- Follow the Student Records link near the top of the list.
- Follow the Apply to Graduate link near the bottom of the list.
Please READ the directions carefully! A few tips:
- Choose the MOST RECENT term of enrollment in the list because that will be the most current information about your major program.
- If you are graduating from multiple programs (e.g., a degree and a certificate) you MUST submit a separate application for EACH program. (You do not need a separate application if you have multiple concentrations within the same major.) You will receive a diploma for each program and will be charged an application fee for each diploma. An easy way to double check is to look at your DegreeWorks record: If there are multiple codes in the "Degree" drop-down box, that is the number of programs from which you must apply to graduate. Students completing BOTH a degree and certificate must complete both applications prior to graduation.
- If you are graduating from two major programs for the same degree type, you will only need to go through the process for your primary program. [Example: Appalachian Studies and English are both MA degree programs.] Please send an email to the Graduate Records staff (email@example.com) in the Graduate School after applying simply to let them know that you are completing two majors.
- Read everything carefully, especially where you can specify your middle name or initial for your diploma and where you can specify the mailing address for your diploma.
- Don't forget to submit when you get to the end. If you do submit and you realize later that you typed something wrong, contact the Graduate School.
- For a pictorial guide to the application - see the Registrar's Website!
More information about graduation and commencement for degree seeking students.
Questions? Contact the Graduate Records Staff (firstname.lastname@example.org).