Completing a Degree or Certificate
All students must submit an application to graduate from a degree or certificate program --- you had to apply to get in, and you have to apply to get out!
You can apply to graduate from a DEGREE program or complete a CERTIFICATE program online. Here is how:
- Log into AppalNet ( you can find additional instructions HERE)
- Go to the Student tab under Self-Service.
- Follow the Student Records link near the top of the list.
- Follow the Apply to Graduate link near the bottom of the list.
Please READ the directions carefully! A few tips:
- Submit your application(s) by the posted deadline; make sure to select the term in which you will have completed ALL program requirements.
- If you are graduating from multiple programs (e.g., a degree and a certificate) you MUST submit a separate application for EACH program, including if you have pursued multiple concentrations within the same major.
- You will be charged an application fee for each diploma. You will receive a diploma for each certificate or degree (except in the case of multiple concentrations, because the concentration isn't reflected on the diploma). An easy way to double check is to look at your DegreeWorks record: If there are multiple codes in the "Degree" drop-down box, that is the number of programs from which you must apply to graduate. If you don't apply, you will not be audited and cleared for graduation.
- If you are completing a dual degree program, you must submit an application to graduate from each of the component degrees (e.g., if you are completing the MBA/MPA dual degree, you must submit two applications to graduate--one for the MBA and one for the MPA).
- Read everything carefully, especially where you can specify your middle name or initial for your diploma and where you can specify the mailing address for your diploma.
- Don't forget to submit when you get to the end. If you do submit and you realize later that you typed something wrong, contact the Graduate School.
- If you discover that you replied for an earlier term than the one in which you'll actually complete your program (e.g., you applied for May but won't graduate until August), send an email to email@example.com and ask to have your graduation application to the later term.
- For a pictorial guide to the application - see the Registrar's Website
More information about graduation and commencement for degree seeking students.
Questions? Contact the Graduate Records Staff (firstname.lastname@example.org).