Applying to Graduate
Degree-seeking students must apply for graduation (regardless of whether they plan to attend the commencement ceremony). The form is available online, which requires a non-refundable/non-transferrable application fee of $20. A late fee of $5 will be assessed on all applications submitted after the initial deadlines. Applications submitted after the final deadline WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED and graduation will be deferred to a later term. Please note that the application for graduation will be closed for billing purposes on the first business day following the deadline dates noted below.
Degrees and Certificates
Initial Deadline* for Graduation
FINAL Deadline** for Graduation
|Fall 2020||Last weekday of September (September 30)||November 13, 2020|
|Spring 2021||Last weekday of February (February 26, 2021)||April 9, 2021|
|Summer 2021||Last weekday of June (June 30, 2021)||July 6, 2021|
*Last date for which the regular application fee ($20) will be charged.
**Last date for which graduation applications will be accepted for graduation for that term.
Thesis / Dissertation Deadlines
- Last day to defend a thesis or dissertation is approximately one month prior to commencement for that term. In summer the end of the "semester" is the end of the second summer session. Please note that your department may impose an earlier deadline. ALWAYS PLAN AHEAD, ESPECIALLY IN SUMMER!
- Submission of a defended final draft of the thesis or dissertation is due in the Graduate School by no later than the dates listed below. Your final draft will be reviewed by the Graduate School readers, and additional changes may be necessary before the final copy is approved.
- Completed theses/dissertations must be turned in on or before the final completed thesis deadline. Late submissions will NOT be accepted.
DRAFT Deadline (Post Defense)
COMPLETED Thesis* Deadline
November 13, 2020
December 2, 2020
April 9, 2021
April 29, 2021
July 6, 2021
August 4, 2021
*A "Completed Thesis" includes the final, edited copy ready for publication; printed copies ready for binding (if applicable); and, binding/shipping payment (if applicable).
Written / Oral Comprehensives and Products of Learning Presentation Deadlines
- The signed paperwork documenting successful completion must be received in the Graduate School at least 1 day before final exams begin in the semester of graduation. In summer, the end of the "semester" is the end of second summer session.
Deadlines for Other Requirements
- Deadlines to register for all coursework, including but not limited to coursework, internships, thesis hours, independent and individual studies are consistent with the deadlines for drop and add established by the Office of the Registrar.
- All work (classwork, internship, proficiency, etc.) must be completed by the student no later than the official date of graduation for that semester. The official date of graduation will be set each semester by the Registrar, and in general falls within two days of the commencement ceremony. During summer, the official date of graduation is within two days of the last class day.