Double Major and Double Degree
Students wishing to pursue a double major or double degree simultaneously at the same level (master's or specialist) may either apply for both programs simultaneously or petition the Graduate School for consideration to add the second program after beginning the first. Both the Graduate School and the admission committee for the second program must approve the addition. The form to add a second major or degree is available on the Graduate School website.
Students approved to pursue two programs will be subject to the following requirements:
- A committee composed of a minimum of one graduate faculty member from each program and one additional member appointed by the Graduate School will review and approve the two programs of study before submission to the Graduate Records Staff.
- Both programs of study must be reviewed and approved simultaneously. Students who add a second program after submitting a program of study must resubmit.
- The two programs of study must meet all requirements for both majors including all admission to candidacy, proficiency, exit (thesis, product of learning), and comprehensive requirements (and associated paperwork), with no more than 50% of the courses from one program of study counting on the other.
- Students must complete both programs within 7 years of the initial admission term and must graduate from both programs in the same term.
- Students completing a double degree will be responsible for submitting and paying for two applications to graduate (one for each diploma to be issued). Students completing a double major will receive one diploma listing both majors, and so must apply only once.